Frequently Asked Questions2019-03-22T09:13:14+03:00

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I access a permit to visit a refugee camp in Kenya?2019-10-15T19:37:45+03:00

Answer: You can write an official letter addressed to the Commissioner for Refugee Affairs stating the reasons why you want to visit the camp or just fill in a form available online in our website and send it through our email addresses as follows;, See our website for more instructions.

Who is a stateless person?2019-10-15T19:31:42+03:00

Answer: This is a person who is not considered as a national of any state under the operation of its laws.

Where can I get registered as an asylum seeker or a refugee?2019-10-15T19:30:32+03:00

Answer: Registration of asylum seekers and refugees is currently taking place in the camps of Kakuma and Dadaab, Mombasa transit center, Nakuru, Eldoret and Nairobi Shauri Moyo offices.

What is a Recognition letter?2019-10-15T19:27:55+03:00

Answer: A Recognition letter is a document issued by the Government of Kenya to a refugee or asylum seeker to confirm that the person is an asylum seeker or a refugee hence, of concern to the government. However this document has seized to be issued and instead an Asylum Seeker’s Pass is issued by the Refugee Affairs Secretariat.

What is a movement pass and when is it given?2019-10-15T19:25:36+03:00

Answer: A movement pass is a legal document issued by the Commissioner for Refugee Affairs to an asylum seeker or a refugee with a genuine reason to facilitate movement outside the designated area. The main reasons for issuing a pass include; resettlement, medical, education, or on humanitarian consideration. The validity of the must be stated on the document and the beneficiary should return it to the designated area before it expires or risk being prosecuted for residing outside the designated area without authorization.

Offences under the Refugee Act 2006 attract a jail sentence not exceeding six months or fine of up to a maximum of Kshs. 20,000 or both.

What role does the Secretariat play in protecting refugees when arrested by police for allegedly being in the country illegally?2019-10-15T19:23:51+03:00

Answer: Asylum seekers with valid documents and recognized refugees are protected against forcible return to their country of origin where they may face persecution. No proceedings are supposed to be instituted against a person in respect of his unlawful presence within Kenya if he or she has made a bona fide application for recognition as a refugee or once he becomes a refugee.

If an asylum seeker or a refugee has been arrested by the police and is facing charges for being unlawfully present in the country and he/she is an asylum seeker or refugee, he/she should immediately inform the Refugee Affairs Secretariat for assistance through the contacts given in this website.

What are the requirements for one to acquire a Conventional Travel Document (CTD)?2019-10-15T19:21:18+03:00

Answer: A refugee may apply in person to the Commissioner for Refugees Affairs to be issued with a Conventional Travel Document (CTD) for the reasons of: resettlement, education, conference, sports, medical, employment, business, family, humanitarian or leisure.

Requirements for application for a CTD are: a Refugee ID card and evidence of where one is traveling to. Thereafter, you will fill in an application form (form 19A) after approval by the CTD Committee.

How can one get financial or medical assistance?2019-10-15T19:18:54+03:00

Answer: Protection services to refugees are available in the refugee camps free of charge. Asylum seekers are therefore advised to report to Dadaab or Kakuma camp to submit their asylum claims and be able to access humanitarian services including but not limited to financial and medical services. Please note that there is no assistance for asylum seekers in urban areas. However, there are various Humanitarian organizations in Nairobi offering specific services to refugees residing in those areas. Asylum seekers and refugees can contact them directly for further guidance.

How long will it take for one to be issued with an identity card?2018-12-01T13:03:40+03:00

Answer: Refugee identity cards are issued to refugees who are 18 years and above and who have undergone RSD process. Normally, once the application is done it should not take more than two months to produce the ID.

What is required for one to be registered as an asylum seeker?2019-10-15T19:40:20+03:00

Answer:  A person is only required to avail himself/herself in person with family members and any documents they have, although not mandatory.

Any person who enters Kenya with an intension to remain in Kenya as a refugee is required to present himself/herself in person to the government authorities immediately upon arrival or within 30 days to lodge an asylum claim. Failure to report may result in being arrested and prosecuted for being unlawfully present in Kenya.

Asylum seekers who lodge asylum claim are registered and issued with a pass awaiting determination of their asylum claims. Once the claim is accepted, the refugee is entitled to get the requisite documentation.

Who is a refugee?2018-12-01T13:01:46+03:00

Answer: This is a person who owing to well-founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, sex, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion is outside the country of his/her nationality and is unable or owing to such fear, unwilling to avail himself of the protection of his/her country (Refugee Act, 2006).

Who is an Asylum seeker?2019-10-15T18:58:55+03:00

This is a person seeking refugee status in accordance with the provisions of the refugee Act 2006.